Online skills classes for adults and adolescents
What is Radically Open-DBT?
Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy (RO-DBT) is a relatively new evidence-based treatment for patients with emotional over-control. ‘Self-control’ is usually seen as a good thing, however too much self-control can cause difficulties. Excessive self-control is associated with social isolation and poor interpersonal relations and it contributes to conditions like anorexia nervosa, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, chronic depression and autism.
Maladaptive over- control is seen as a problem of emotional loneliness - not necessarily lacking contact with others…...but lack of social connectedness with others.
We are social beings and we know that 3 core components of emotional well-being are:
1) Openness to feedback, even when this is challenging
2) Flexibility in our responses, to ever changing demands
3) Communication of our emotions, recognising that expressing emotion is crucial when forming close interpersonal bonds.
RO-DBT treatment strategies aim to build:
1) Flexible responding to the demands of the moment
2) Emphasis on the importance of authentic emotional expression to build positive interpersonal relationships
3) Self enquiry into our usual responses
4) Ability to manage unexpected or challenging feedback
Are you the sort of person who is some of the following: dutiful, avoids risk and novelty, plans ahead, struggles to really connect with others, follows rules, feels unappreciated, struggles to relax and be playful? Is what you show on the outside different to your inner experiences, thoughts, and sensations?
Would you like help to be more:
1. Receptive and open
3. Socially connected
Would this make it easier to meet your goals in life?
Further information about Radically Open DBT can be found at www.radicallyopen.net
If you would like to talk to us more about RODBT and whether this approach fits you, please contact us on 9555 4810 or email us at email@example.com